New Knot or Not

Hi ALL,

This is my first post and I'm a new member of IGKT. Please help me to find a source or reference for this knot in question. I've been looking for over a year now. It's not in ABOK. I haven't gotten an answer on Facebook. IGKTNA hasn't returned an answer. So far some have said they've seen this knot without reference, and some have sent pictures of somewhat similar different knots.

I discovered this knot looking for a triangular mat to cover the breasthook of my boat. It was derived from a 4x3 Turks Head, and is actually three symmetrically interlaced figure eight knots. I like to call it a Triangular Thump Mat.

Thanks for looking and I will be appreciating any comments!

Christopher Corfman

3 Likes

I am afraid I can't help on whether this is a new knot or not, although I can say I've never seen it.

What I will say is it it absolutely beautiful, both in its internal elegance and its outward appearance, and a welcome addition (hopefully) to the range of mat knots.

Is there any special trick to tying it, or just start from a single figure-8 and go from there?

1 Like
         Very beautiful alanleeknots like it

:+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words. As far as tying, you can start with two figure eights in a line, and then weave at the center to start the third figure eight.

You may want to get in touch with You-Tuber named "MARSALA" who on 19 October 2019 made a video that looks similar to yours. He was inspired by a colleague from IGKT France.

@Christopher_Corfman would you perhaps change the title of this topic to your preferred name for this knot?

Shellback7,

With some ChatGPT help I was able to dig up this video from the channel Noeuds Marins Par Marsala:

That is a knot derived from a 2x3 Turks Head, a different knot.